Connect with us

Guns In America

Coast Guard Officer Who Stockpiled Guns, Compiled Hit List, Won’t Be Charged With Terrorism

Published

on

GREENBELT, Md. (AP) — A Coast Guard officer accused of stockpiling guns and compiling a hit list of prominent Democrats and network TV journalists is seeking his release from federal custody since prosecutors haven’t charged him with any terrorism-related offenses.


Christopher Hasson has remained in custody since his Feb. 15 arrest and subsequent indictment in Maryland on firearms and drug charges. His attorney is Liz Oyer. Oyer wrote in a Monday letter that prosecutors recently informed the court they don’t expect to seek any additional charges.

In a court filing, prosecutors called Hasson a “domestic terrorist” and said he “intends to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country.”

In February, a magistrate judge ordered Hasson detained but said he was willing to revisit his decision if prosecutors didn’t bring more serious charges.

Guns In America

4 Adults, 2 Kids Shot, Wounded At Chicago Baby Shower Over Weekend

Published

on

By

Chicago police work the scene of a shooting in the 6300 block of South Seeley on Saturday, April 6, 2019. Authorities say two children were among the several people who were wounded when two men opened fire Saturday evening on a baby shower outside of a home on the South Side of Chicago. (Chris Sweda/Chicago Tribune via AP)

CHICAGO (AP) — Two men who opened fire on a crowd of people gathered for a baby shower, wounding six people, including two children, may have acted in relation for an earlier gang conflict, police said Sunday.


Authorities have only “shards of information” about what happened at the family gathering in Chicago because witnesses are not cooperating, a police spokesman said, but investigators hope the serious nature of the children’s injuries will prompt someone to talk.

“This is a very tragic incident. You have two young children, an 8-year-old and a 10-year-old, clinging to life,” Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

At least a dozen people were gathered outside a home decorated with balloons for the baby shower when two armed men approached on foot and began shooting about 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Guglielmi said.

The gunmen fired multiple rounds and ran away down an alley, he said.

An 8-year-old boy was shot in the chest and back, and a 10-year-old girl was shot in the leg. Both children were in critical but stable condition. Their names were not released.

Also shot were four other people — three men ranging in age from 23 to 48 and a 29-year-old woman. The woman was hospitalized in critical condition, and the two younger men were in stable condition.

The condition of the oldest man was unknown, and Guglielmi said it was unclear whether the woman who was hurt may have been the person who was pregnant.

People rushed inside the house when the shooting began. Children who had been playing in the yard reportedly started piling atop one another as they tried to get through the door.

“We were trying to pick the kids up, get the kids out of the way . they were going to get crushed,” Richard Nix, whose grandson was having the shower, told The Chicago Tribune. “It wasn’t nothing but kids in front of the house, sitting on the porch. They was just playing, and the shooting went off.”

The shooting occurred in the West Englewood neighborhood of Chicago’s South Side, and investigators had indications it was in retaliation for a previous incident, the spokesman said.

“It’s part of a larger conflict that’s going on in that area,” Guglielmi said.

Another shooting occurred Sunday morning about three blocks from the home where the gunfire erupted, he said, but it was unclear whether there was any connection.

Authorities have struggled to contain violence in Chicago, the nation’s third-largest city. Police said 561 homicides were committed in the city last year, a total that exceeded the number of killings in New York and Los Angeles combined.

Continue Reading

Guns In America

Federal Judge Declares California Firearm Magazine Law Unconstitutional

Published

on

By

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A federal judge has upheld his earlier decision blocking a California law barring gun owners from possessing high-capacity magazines.


San Diego-based U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez on Friday declared unconstitutional the law banning possession of magazines holding more than 10 bullets.

California has prohibited buying or selling such magazines since 2000. Those who had them before then were allowed to keep them.

In 2016, the Legislature and voters approved a law removing that provision. The California arm of the National Rifle Association sued and Benitez sided with the group’s argument that banning the magazines infringes on the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

His order included an example of a home invasion where a woman used extra bullets in her high-capacity magazine to kill an attacker.

Read the ruling that reverses California’s high-capacity firearm magazine ban below:

Continue Reading

Guns In America

US Supreme Court Declines To Block Trump Bump Stock Ban

Published

on

By

March 28 (UPI) — The Supreme Court on Thursday declined to block the Trump administration’s ban on bump stocks while lawsuits against the measure make their way through lower courts.


The high court denied the request by a group of plaintiffs led by gun advocacy group Gun Owners of America.

Bump stocks increase a gun’s rate of fire by using the recoil to have the gun fire continuously, nearly converting a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic machine gun. With a bump stock, some guns can fire between 400 and 500 rounds per minute.

The devices have been opposed by lawmakers and President Donald Trump since the October 2017 Las Vegas shooting, in which Stephen Paddock used one to fire more than 1,000 rounds at concertgoers. He killed 58 people.

Since the Las Vegas shooting, the Justice Department has evaluated existing laws against automatic weapons and in December interpreted the law to also ban bump stocks. A ban on the devices went into effectearlier this week.

“We still feel that the regulation is a factual misreading of the statute, and that ultimately we will be vindicated on it,” Michael Hammond, legislative counsel for Gun Owners of America, said of the challenge.

Gun Owners of America has led the charge against bump stock ban with lawsuits in Washington state, Ohio, Utah and Michigan. The organization estimates more than 500,000 Americans own bump stocks. A federal court in Cincinnati also denied the group’s request for a preliminary injunction.

The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court not to block the bump stock ban.

“Every Court to rule on a request to preliminarily enjoin the rule has determined that a preliminary injunction is unwarranted,” Solicitor General Noel Francisco said in a filing.

Continue Reading

Popular

Copyright © 2018 News This Second