Nearly three months after police discovered Jayme Closs’ parents murdered in their Wisconsin home — and no sign of Jayme — the teen was found alive Thursday, about 70 miles from where she vanished.
A suspect was arrested shortly after a Douglas County, WI resident found the teen. Not much else is known about the suspect or what Closs has been through since Oct. 15, the day her parents’ bodies were found murdered, but police plan to hold a press conference Friday at 10 a.m. CST (11 a.m. ET).
UPDATE: A 4 PM media update has been scheduled with more information to be released.
“For 88 days I have said we would work tirelessly to bring Jayme Closs home. We have done just that,”
Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald announced.
Rewatch the full press conference from 11:00 AM ET below:
There are a lot of details about Jayme’s disappearance and discovery we don’t know. Here are some questions that could be answered today at the news conference:
- Who is the suspect? Police said a suspect, Jake Thomas Patterson, 21, of Gordon, WI was taken into custody about 10 minutes after authorities found Jayme.
- Where has Jayme been for the past 87 days? Jayme was found in Gordon, Wisconsin, a town about 66 miles north of where she was last seen (and 87 days after she vanished). We’re not sure how she got there.
- Who found Jayme? A woman told the Star Tribune in Minneapolis that Jayme approached her for help while the woman was walking her dog. Authorities didn’t immediately release more details.
- Was Jayme hurt? Jayme was taken to the hospital after she was found, her aunt Sue Allard said.
- Is there more information about the killing of her parents? Jayme’s parents, James and Denise Closs, were found shot dead in their home the same night the teen went missing.
- Who was behind that 911 call? Investigators say a mysterious 911 call led deputies to discover Jayme’s parents’ bodies. When the dispatcher called the number back, a voice mail greeting indicated the phone belonged to Denise Closs. The log does not say who made the 911 call — but the dispatcher heard yelling in the background.
- What happened to Kyle Jaenke? About two weeks after Jayme went missing, investigators saw a man in a skull cap break into Jayme’s home. Kyle Jaenke was charged with breaking into the home and stealing girls’ underwear, but he was cleared of involvement in her disappearance.
Here’s a timeline of the events that occurred around Jayme Closs’ disappearance and the massive search to find her:
- October 15: Authorities are called to the Closs home in Barron, Wisconsin, 90 miles east of Minneapolis. There, they find Jayme’s parents, James and Denise Closs, shot dead — but the teen is missing.
- October 22: A week after Jayme’s disappearance, a local sheriff seeks 2,000 volunteers to help search for her, the equivalent of two-thirds of the population of Barron.
- October 24: The FBI offers $25,000 for information leading to Jayme’s location.
- October 27: Jayme’s parents are laid to rest in a funeral attended by loved ones and strangers.
- October 28: Wisconsin investigators see via motion-activated cameras a man in a skull cap break into Jayme’s home through a patio door, according to a criminal complaint. The man is identified as Kyle Jaenke, 32.
- October 30: Jaenke is charged with breaking into the home and stealing girls’ underwear and other clothing, but he’s cleared of involvement in her disappearance.
- November 17: Wisconsin authorities urge hunters to be on the lookout for clues on the missing teen. Deputies said they’ve not given up on finding the teen, and the cases remains a top priority for them.
- December 4: The Barron County Clerk of Courts’ Office dedicates its Christmas tree to Jayme.
- January 10: Jayme is found alive.
This post will be updated with new information shortly.
Trump Says He’ll Make a ‘Major Announcement’ Saturday Afternoon About Shutdown, Border
Trump Administration Separated Thousands More Migrants Than Previously Known
The Trump Administration separated thousands more migrant kids from their families at the border than it previously acknowledged, and the separations started months before the policy was announced, according to a federal audit released Thursday morning.
“More children over a longer period of time” were separated at the border than commonly known, an investigator with the Department of Health and Human Services inspector general’s office told reporters Thursday morning.
“How many more children were separated is unknown, by us and HHS” because of failures to track families as they were being separated, he said.
HHS officials involved in caring for the separated children and reunifying families estimated “thousands” of additional children are separated at the border, the inspector general said.
The report sheds new light on the Trump administration’s efforts to deter border crossings by separating migrant families. House Democrats who’ve condemned the separations as inhumane have vowed to investigate the administration’s handling of the policy and its health effects on separated children, and the inspector general said additional investigations are in the works.
The inspector general report said some family separations continued, even after President Donald Trump in June 2018 ended the policy amid uproar and a federal court ordered his administration to reunify the families. The June 2018 court order called on the administration to reunify about 2,500 separated children in government custody. Most of those families were reunited within 30 days.
However, HHS received at least 118 separated children between July and early November, according to the report. DHS provided “limited” information about the reason for those separations. In slightly more than half of those cases, border officials cited the parent’s criminal history as a reason to separate the families, although they did not always provide details. The court order requiring reunifications said family separations should only occur if border officials could specify when parents posed possible dangers to children or were otherwise unfit to care for them, the inspector general noted.
Federal investigators said they had no details about how many of the “thousands of separated children” who entered the care of HHS before the June 2018 court order had been reunited.
“We have no information about the status of the children who were released prior to the court order,” Maxwell told reporters. [POLITICO]
News1 week ago
Pentagon Preparing Options To Build Barriers If Trump Declares National Emergency
News1 week ago
LIVE:Trump Set To Declare National Emergency To Build Border Wall
News3 months ago
Indonesian Lion Air aircraft crashes after going missing
Election 20183 months ago
Can Democrats regain control of the House?
News2 months ago
Page Redirecting – BREAKING NEWS
News3 months ago
Suspicious devices sent to politicians, news outlets
News2 months ago
CNN sues President Trump for banning reporter Jim Acosta
News3 months ago
Cannon House Office Building at the U.S. Capitol evacuated