Connect with us

News

MICHAEL COHEN POSTPONES CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY FOR A THIRD TIME

Published

on

President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer Michael Cohen has scored a hat trick when it comes to postponing congressional testimony.

For the third time this month, Cohen’s scheduled congressional testimony has been delayed, as his attorney said Monday that Cohen’s Senate Intelligence Committee appearance this week had been pushed back.

“The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has accepted Mr. Cohen’s request for postponement of tomorrow’s hearing due to post surgery medical needs. A future date will be announced by the committee,” his attorney Lanny Davis said in a statement.

Cohen, who had been subpoenaed to testify in mid-February by the Senate Intelligence Committee, will be represented by attorneys Michael Monico, a former federal prosecutor in the Northern District of Illinois, and his law partner, Barry Spevack, according to a statement from Cohen’s legal consultant and spokesman, Lanny Davis.

President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer Michael Cohen has agreed to testify behind closed doors before the House Intelligence Committee next month, according to Cohen’s new lawyer Michael Monico.

House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff of California announced that Cohen would testify before the intelligence panel on February 8. Cohen was initially scheduled to appear in an open hearing before the House Oversight Committee one day earlier, but he abruptly announced last week he was postponing his scheduled congressional testimony, citing “ongoing threats against his family” from Trump and the President’s attorney, Rudy Giuliani.

Cohen has also been subpoenaed to appear in mid-February before the Senate Intelligence Committee, and the committee is in touch with Cohen’s legal team about that appearance, too.

“We will continue to work with Mr. Cohen and law enforcement in order to protect Mr. Cohen and his family,” Schiff said in a statement, in which he thanked Cohen for agreeing to talk to the intelligence panel voluntarily.

President Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen is due to testify behind closed doors before Congress on Feb. 8, according to a statement on Thursday from Cohen and a schedule from the House of Representatives’ oversight committee.

“I look forward to having the privilege of being afforded a platform with which to give a full and credible account of the events which have transpired.”

Cohen was sentenced in December to a total of three years in prison for his role in making illegal hush-money payments to women to help Trump’s 2016 election campaign and lying to Congress about a proposed Trump Tower project in Russia.

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said that “it will be necessary, however, for Mr. Cohen to answer questions pertaining to the Russia investigation, and we hope to schedule a public session before our committee in the near future.”

News

All Charges Against Jussie Smollett Dropped

Published

on

By

CHICAGO (AP) — Attorneys for “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett say charges alleging he lied to police about an attack have been dropped.


Smollett’s attorneys Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes said in a Tuesday morning statement that Smollett’s record “has been wiped clean.” Smollett was indicted on 16 felony counts related to making a false report that he was attacked by two men who shouted racial and homophobic slurs.

A spokeswoman for Cook County prosecutors didn’t immediately respond to messages requesting comment.

Police and prosecutors have said the black and gay actor falsely reported to authorities that he was attacked Jan. 29 in downtown Chicago because he was unhappy with his pay on the Fox show and to promote his career.

The prosecutor who made the surprise decision to drop charges against Empire star Jussie Smollett for allegedly making false assault claims said the dropped and expunged charges are not an indication of the actor’s innocence.

“We didn’t exonerate him,” Joe Magats, the top assistant to Cook County State Attorney Kim Foxx, said in a statement tweeted out by New York Times correspondent Julie Bosman.

The prosecutor said he “saw no problems with the police investigation or the evidence against Smollett,” Bosman tweeted, adding that the actor’s charges were dropped “in return for his agreement to do community service” and for the forfeiture of “his bond to the city of Chicago.”

“We work to prioritize violent crime and the drivers of violent crime,” Magats said. “Public safety is our number one priority. I don’t see Jussie Smollett as a threat to public safety.”

“We stand behind the investigation, we stand behind the decision to charge him and we stand behind the charges in the case,” the prosecutor said. “The mere fact that it was disposed of in an alternative manner does not mean that there were any problems or infirmities in the case or the evidence.”

Magats’ statement contrasts claims made by Smollett’s lawyers, who said the dropped and expunged charges were not part of a deal and that the actor would not be doing any additional community service.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Continue Reading

Guns In America

US Chief Justice John Roberts Rejects Bid To Halt Trump Bump Stock Ban

Published

on

By

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts on Tuesday rejected a bid by gun rights activists to put on hold President Donald Trump’s administration’s ban on “bump stock” gun attachments that enable semi-automatic weapons to be fired rapidly.


Justice Sonia Sotomayor has not yet acted on another similar request.

The ban goes into effect on Tuesday but lower courts have yet to rule on an appeals brought by gun rights activists. An appeals court in Washington already has said that the ban will not go into effect in relation to the specific people and groups involved in that case.

Continue Reading

News

Gun Rights Groups Ask Supreme Court To Halt Trump Bump Stock Ban

Published

on

By

WASHINGTON (AP) — Gun rights groups are asking the Supreme Court to stop the Trump administration from beginning to enforce its ban on bump stock devices, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire like machine guns.


The groups asked the court Monday to get involved in the issue and keep the government from beginning to enforce the ban for now. The ban set to go into effect Tuesday has put the Trump administration in the unusual position of arguing against gun rights groups. It’s unclear how quickly the court will act.

President Donald Trump said last year that the government would move to ban bump stocks. The action followed a 2017 shooting in Las Vegas in which a gunman attached bump stocks to assault-style rifles he used to shoot concertgoers. Fifty-eight people were killed.

Developing…this will be updated.

Continue Reading

Popular

Copyright © 2018 News This Second