Connect with us

News

Former First Lady Barbara Bush has died

Published

on

Former First Lady Barbara Bush has died at 92 years old at her home in Texas.

At 92 years old, Bush had been suffering for some time and had been in and out of the hospital multiple times in the last year while battling with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, or COPD, and congestive heart failure.

On April 15th this year, The office of former President George H. W. Bush released a statement, confirming after a “recent series of hospitalizations,” she has decided against seeking additional medical help and was being cared for at her home.

She married at age 19 while George Bush was a young naval aviator. After World War II, the Bushes moved to Texas where he went into the oil business. Bush, who served as president from 1989 to 1993, also served as a congressman, CIA director and Ronald Reagan’s vice president.
News This Second
During her time at the White House, the former first lady’s signature cause was family literacy focusing on bringing awareness to early childhood education and adult literacy for parents. She later launched the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy during her husband’s presidency.

Eight years after she and her husband left the White House, Mrs. Bush stood with her husband as their son George W. was sworn in as president.

 

Bush was a fierce advocate for her husband and sons, including former Florida governor and presidential candidate Jeb Bush.She also defended them against detractors, from those who criticized her husband’s decision to raise taxes in 1990 to those who opposed her son’s decision to go to war in Iraq in 2003.

Bush had recently stayed out largely out of public view, briefly lending a hand campaigning for her son Jeb Bush during the 2016 presidential election.

President Trump mocked Jeb Bush for having the support of a very important person in his life: his “mommy.”

Her son responded in kind;

Mrs. Bush will be buried at the George HW Bush Presidential library on the campus of Texas A & M.

This is a Breaking News Story

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Trump Says He’ll Make a ‘Major Announcement’ Saturday Afternoon About Shutdown, Border

Published

on

Washington (AP) — Trump says he will make a ‘major announcement’ on Saturday afternoon about the government shutdown and border security.

Continue Reading

News

Trump Administration Separated Thousands More Migrants Than Previously Known

Published

on

By

The Trump Administration separated thousands more migrant kids from their families at the border than it previously acknowledged, and the separations started months before the policy was announced, according to a federal audit released Thursday morning.

“More children over a longer period of time” were separated at the border than commonly known, an investigator with the Department of Health and Human Services inspector general’s office told reporters Thursday morning.

“How many more children were separated is unknown, by us and HHS” because of failures to track families as they were being separated, he said.

HHS officials involved in caring for the separated children and reunifying families estimated “thousands” of additional children are separated at the border, the inspector general said.

The report sheds new light on the Trump administration’s efforts to deter border crossings by separating migrant families. House Democrats who’ve condemned the separations as inhumane have vowed to investigate the administration’s handling of the policy and its health effects on separated children, and the inspector general said additional investigations are in the works.

The inspector general report said some family separations continued, even after President Donald Trump in June 2018 ended the policy amid uproar and a federal court ordered his administration to reunify the families. The June 2018 court order called on the administration to reunify about 2,500 separated children in government custody. Most of those families were reunited within 30 days.

However, HHS received at least 118 separated children between July and early November, according to the report. DHS provided “limited” information about the reason for those separations. In slightly more than half of those cases, border officials cited the parent’s criminal history as a reason to separate the families, although they did not always provide details. The court order requiring reunifications said family separations should only occur if border officials could specify when parents posed possible dangers to children or were otherwise unfit to care for them, the inspector general noted.

Federal investigators said they had no details about how many of the “thousands of separated children” who entered the care of HHS before the June 2018 court order had been reunited.

“We have no information about the status of the children who were released prior to the court order,” Maxwell told reporters. [POLITICO]

Continue Reading

News

Prince Phillip Involved in Car Crash

Published

on

#BREAKING Duke of Edinburgh involved in car crash near Sandringham Estate but not injured, Buckingham Palace says.

Continue Reading

Popular

Copyright © 2018 News This Second