Connect with us

News

Storm Dylan set to disrupt New Year’s Eve travel across Britain

Winds gusting up to 80mph and heavy rain are expected to cause flooding and power cuts in some areas

Published

on

 

Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article titled “Storm Dylan set to disrupt New Year’s Eve travel across Britain” was written by Patrick Greenfield, for theguardian.com on Saturday 30th December 2017 17.09 UTC

Power cuts, flooding and fresh travel disruption are expected on New Year’s Eve as Storm Dylan brings strong winds and heavy rain to the UK.

Gusts of up to 80mph have been forecast in Northern Ireland and southern Scotland, with warnings of possible injury and danger to life.

The latest storm comes after freezing temperatures, heavy snow, rain and wind caused disruption during the Christmas break.

The Met Office has issued an amber wind warning for Northern Ireland and Scotland on Sunday morning, as Dylan begins to roll across the region in the early hours.

The warning is in place from 4am to 1pm, when forecasters said there “will probably be some damage to buildings such as tiles blown from roofs, with flying debris likely with the possibility of injuries or danger to life”.

“In coastal areas large waves are likely as well as beach material being thrown on to coastal roads, sea fronts and perhaps some properties,” the Met Office said.

“Longer journey times and cancellations are likely as road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected. Some roads and bridges are likely to close.

“There is also a good chance of power cuts and the potential to affect other services such as mobile phone coverage.”

Heavy rain is also forecast for much of south-east Wales and south-west England over the weekend.

The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for heavy rain for 6pm on Saturday to 9am on Sunday, and predicts that up to 25mm (1in) is likely to fall. Up to 40mm (1.6in) could be seen in some spots.

“With the ground very wet in these areas, this is likely to lead to rising water levels and some flooding in places,” the Met Office said.

Despite a squally start, conditions are expected to ease by the time people head out to see in the new year.

Meteorologist Alex Burkhill said: “The good news is the worst of the weather will clear by midnight for the New Year’s Eve celebrations.

“There will be some wind and rain in the south and west, and the north and east have a better chance of staying dry.

“It will be a chilly night, but not exceptionally cold and the breeze might blow a few fireworks in slightly different directions, but it shouldn’t cause too many problems.”

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010

Published via the Guardian News Feed plugin for WordPress.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Trump Says He’ll Make a ‘Major Announcement’ Saturday Afternoon About Shutdown, Border

Published

on

Washington (AP) — Trump says he will make a ‘major announcement’ on Saturday afternoon about the government shutdown and border security.

Continue Reading

News

Trump Administration Separated Thousands More Migrants Than Previously Known

Published

on

By

The Trump Administration separated thousands more migrant kids from their families at the border than it previously acknowledged, and the separations started months before the policy was announced, according to a federal audit released Thursday morning.

“More children over a longer period of time” were separated at the border than commonly known, an investigator with the Department of Health and Human Services inspector general’s office told reporters Thursday morning.

“How many more children were separated is unknown, by us and HHS” because of failures to track families as they were being separated, he said.

HHS officials involved in caring for the separated children and reunifying families estimated “thousands” of additional children are separated at the border, the inspector general said.

The report sheds new light on the Trump administration’s efforts to deter border crossings by separating migrant families. House Democrats who’ve condemned the separations as inhumane have vowed to investigate the administration’s handling of the policy and its health effects on separated children, and the inspector general said additional investigations are in the works.

The inspector general report said some family separations continued, even after President Donald Trump in June 2018 ended the policy amid uproar and a federal court ordered his administration to reunify the families. The June 2018 court order called on the administration to reunify about 2,500 separated children in government custody. Most of those families were reunited within 30 days.

However, HHS received at least 118 separated children between July and early November, according to the report. DHS provided “limited” information about the reason for those separations. In slightly more than half of those cases, border officials cited the parent’s criminal history as a reason to separate the families, although they did not always provide details. The court order requiring reunifications said family separations should only occur if border officials could specify when parents posed possible dangers to children or were otherwise unfit to care for them, the inspector general noted.

Federal investigators said they had no details about how many of the “thousands of separated children” who entered the care of HHS before the June 2018 court order had been reunited.

“We have no information about the status of the children who were released prior to the court order,” Maxwell told reporters. [POLITICO]

Continue Reading

News

Prince Phillip Involved in Car Crash

Published

on

#BREAKING Duke of Edinburgh involved in car crash near Sandringham Estate but not injured, Buckingham Palace says.

Continue Reading

Popular

Copyright © 2018 News This Second